WELCOME


Rodmond - RT - RTtheRealest

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything." James 1:2-4

"Whatever you do in life, make sure you follow your heart. Nobody can see your vision like you can see it."

A personal blog, an unfiltered and uncensored place of expression, a personal journal.

EST 12/15/2009

Sunday, May 07, 2017

What Does It Mean To Be A Man?

Day 7/31

I don't mean to alienate all my female readers...but essentially, what does it mean to be a grown up, what does it mean to be an adult...and for my fellow guys out there...what does it mean to be a man? Is it age? When you hit 18...or maybe when you hit the legal age to drink...is that what determines if you're a man? I personally don't have a concrete answer for y'all...and I think if you asked around...it would vary from person to person. What does it mean to be a man Is it talking a certain way...dressing a certain way? See I feel like you can talk all eloquently and grammatically correct...and most people's assumption of you is that you're well put together...but does that mean you're a man? And again when I say man...feel free to interpret it as adult or grown up. I also feel like you can dress up and clean up hella good...or "very well" as y'all grammar folks will hit me with...but that don't mean you're a man. You can dress up in a suit and tie, gel your hair and be as presentable as you can be...but that doesn't make you any more of a man that the dude beside you in a t-shirt and some jeans. But it's funny that...things like how we dress, how we speak, how we present ourselves has a significant impact on how people perceive us...how much people believe we have it all put together or how mature people think we are. I dunno...I definitely don't wanna generalize...and I don't wanna seem critical or judgemental of people...this is just observation...and some of it is from first hand experience. J. Cole says "you ain't a man till you stop chasing your friends, think for yourself, make your own plans". You always see those movies where people ask each other oh...when did you know you were a man...or when did you feel like you became a man? And people's answers vary...first job, license, losing virginity, moving out...you name it. In all honesty...I'm turning 25 soon...and there are some times I feel like a man...and there are some times I don't. There are some times I feel hella independent, responsible, capable of taking care of myself. Then there's other times...I feel like a kid...super dependent and needy for his parents, for attention, for comfort. I think everyone can relate to me in some sort of aspect...that you never really feel completely like an adult...because there's always moments in your life you feel you need somebody...a friend, a parent, someone to talk to. I think a big part of being an adult is confronting all of that...realizing that it's okay to be in need, to cry out for help...it's natural, it's normal. So to answer my question...what does it mean to be a man...I don't know...to be honest, I'm still figuring it out...I can share bits and pieces with you...as I feel I'll never have a truly definitive answer...but yeah, to each his own I guess...just don't let anybody define or undermine you by telling you you are or aren't something because of how you dress, how you speak, how you choose to present yourself...that's on you...nobody can tell you you are or you aren't a man...that's up to you to figure out for yourself. I'll see you guy tomorrow, peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment