WELCOME


Rodmond - RT - RTtheRealest

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything." James 1:2-4

"Whatever you do in life, make sure you follow your heart. Nobody can see your vision like you can see it."

A personal blog, an unfiltered and uncensored place of expression, a personal journal.

EST 12/15/2009

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Preconceived Notions: Rap Music

I think one of my biggest pet peeves is this association that rap music is "bad" altogether. I feel like people have this preconceived notion that all rap is about guns, sex, drugs, money and violence...and for the most part, it is...well at least the garbage they play on the radio and show on TV. But it irks me cuz people seem to like to categorize me with rap music or hip-hop...cuz I guess I dress/act the part? And because rap music is viewed so negatively...so I get the short end of the stick as well. I feel like when people listen to rap music...they already have this thought in the back of their minds that it's going to be bad, it's garbage...so when they listen to it...they don't turn their ears into like police mode...where they specifically listen to pick out those topics I listed and swear words just to be like I told you it was a bad song. That annoys me a great deal...because real rap songs...that talk about substance and real issues...yeah they may have some swear words in it...but that doesn't make the entire song bad...that doesn't automatically mean he's talking about something bad. I think it's annoying when my church friends tell me rap music is bad and I shouldn't listen to it...but they'll go listen to people like Taylor Swift, One Direction...I know rappers have nothing and no association with that kind of music...but what makes Taylor Swift better than say J. Cole or Kendrick Lamar...because she doesn't swear? Because her songs are catchy? Not even trying to hate on Taylor Swift...I'm just trying to make a point...that because rap songs have swear words, all of a sudden they're labelled worse than other songs that talk about the same kinds of garbage. I dunno man...I guess rap music and hip hop is one of the biggest things that got me into writing in the first place as well...just the word play...the substance...the way they use words, rhymes and poetry to express themselves...I found that so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment