WELCOME


Rodmond - RT - RTtheRealest

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything." James 1:2-4

"Whatever you do in life, make sure you follow your heart. Nobody can see your vision like you can see it."

A personal blog, an unfiltered and uncensored place of expression, a personal journal.

EST 12/15/2009

Tuesday, December 03, 2019

The Right Thing To Do, The Right Thing For You

Day 3/31

So lemme tell you 2 different stories to start...

So I was at the gym with a friend a long time ago and we went to this machine after this dude had finished it and we saw that he had left his phone. Without hesitation I picked up the phone, found him at the water fountain and gave him his phone. He didn't really have any reaction, he said thank you but had a very cold face...like imagine One Punch Man, that's the kinda face he gave me. So I went back to my friend and I was like yeah, he didn't seem really appreciative, should've just left the phone or kept it (obvs a joke) and we laughed about it.

So this second story, I was selling a textbook for university and I met up with the dude in the library and he gave me the money, I gave him the book and he left. I sat down in the library and realized he gave me an extra $50, again without hesitation I called him back and I was like oh hey, you accidentally gave me an extra $50. So he came back, I gave him the money and the dude like shook my hand and he was like oh my gosh, holy crap, I can't believe it, most people wouldn't have done what you did, all that stuff. Fast forward a little bit...turns out we had a lot of mutual friends and my boy was like yo, you know he always talks about you...anytime I bring you up he's like Rodmond? He's a hella good dude, I gave him and extra $50 and he gave it back to me and stuff. It felt really good hearing that, I'm not gonna lie lol.

So it brings me to my point lol...why do we do good things, like with the first scenario...I felt this weird feeling of not being fulfilled, like I expected something in return like a big hug and huge thank you...I even joked about keeping the dude's phone lol...he seemed ungrateful and it made me feel like I didn't get what I felt I deserved. With the second situation, it was more gratifying and it felt so much better because the dude was so appreciative and it made me feel good about myself. Thinking about these 2 scenarios, it made me ask the question...well why do we do good deeds? Is it because it's the right thing to do, or because it makes us feel good and have some sort of moral accomplishment. Random things like giving money to the homeless, donating your clothes to charity...are you doing that stuff cuz it's a good thing to do or because you want that sense of recognition and appreciation. Just a random open ended question I started to think of when I compared these 2 scenarios side by side lol. Anyways....this whole making a blog post everyday is harder than I thought lol...the well is definitely running dry, but I'm gonna do my best lol, stick with me...peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment