WELCOME


Rodmond - RT - RTtheRealest

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything." James 1:2-4

"Whatever you do in life, make sure you follow your heart. Nobody can see your vision like you can see it."

A personal blog, an unfiltered and uncensored place of expression, a personal journal.

EST 12/15/2009

Monday, December 07, 2020

Serenity In The Storm

I had a friend tell me that one of my biggest strengths is seemingly being able to stay calm and collected in times of distress. I think for the most part I definitely am a pretty chill and relaxed person but I still do stress and when things to get to me, they REALLY get to me…so I kinda disagree with that statement to a certain extent lol. I think moreso when people come to me in times of distress, I’m definitely able to stay calm and grounded moreso than if it were my own issues. We were talking in class about this idea of being grounded, being balanced and being a stabilizer for when clients come to us and their whole world is falling apart. Because a lot fo times it’ll be like that, maybe not to such a drastic extent, but clients will come to you more foten than not in distress and with some sort of issue that is bothering them. As a counselor/social worker it’s our job to analyze their situation and approach it with a clear and level head. Not even in a work setting, just imagine this…your friend comes to you panicking about something and you just start freaking out and panicking with them, it’s not really gonna help their situation or calm them down in any way lol. My prof gave this super dope example where she was like if someone is drowning in an ocean during a storm, as tempting as it is to jump in and save the,..that’s dangerous. You’re better off staying grounded, with your feet planted and throwing the ring to them. I think that’s just something I’ve realized I kinda naturally do with people when they come to me with their problems. It’s still okay to like be sad with someone or to sulk with someone I’m not saying it’s wrong in anyway cuz I’ve definitely done that. But I just think it’s so much more beneficial when you’re that person that helps to bring them back to reality and help them tink more clearly and ground them. I’ve definitely been in those situations where I’m just not thinking clearly, tunnel vision on a girl, maybe blinded by anger and just not thinking straight and wanting to act on those specific emotions…it’s not until my friends are like yo you’re not thinking clearly, take a deep breath, relax and take it down a couple notches. When I eventually come back down to earth and am able to see the bigger picture, I’m like wow my perspective was so narrowed because of how I was feeling. I think we all need those people in our lives to help keep us grounded, so that when we’re drowning, they can toss us a life jacket and help us see things more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment