WELCOME


Rodmond - RT - RTtheRealest

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything." James 1:2-4

"Whatever you do in life, make sure you follow your heart. Nobody can see your vision like you can see it."

A personal blog, an unfiltered and uncensored place of expression, a personal journal.

EST 12/15/2009

Thursday, April 05, 2018

Growing Up Asian

So I live in the city of Markham, I went to both elementary and high school here. There's a lottttt of asian people in Markham. The high school I went to was probably 70% asian. The funniest thing about growing up asian or in a school and city that is primary asian isn't about the asians themselves, but about the non-asians that grow up within these surroundings LOL. I remember in elementary school, waaaaay before Facebook, we used things like Xanga, Asianavenue and Zuup LOOOL. If you remember those things, mannn it was so sick. It's like myspace essentailly, you create your own page, put music, decorate it however you want and you can write on people's pages and stuff. The funniest thing was I had this black friend who was insistent on not creating one of those pages but a group of girls ended up creating a page for him and the mans loved it LOOL, he like went off, was so into decorating and putting music on it, it was hilarious. Growing up in a primary asian school and city mean a lot of asian restaurants, like a lot. In high school I chilled with a lot of non  asian people, I had these 2 black friends I'd always go to lunch with at the plaza across our school. So the plaza had like subway and a pizza place, but it was mostly asian places so that's where we'd go cuz it was cheap and there was a lot of variety. So one of the guys was very open and down to try new things, the other was very hesitant and adamant on sticking with what was comfortable. So we'd go to this asian restaurant and my friend and I would get random asian dishes, my other friend...would ALWAYS get chicken wings and fries LOOL. Every time he ordered it, the waitress would give him a dirty stare cuz no one goes to asian places to order chicken wings and fries lol. It was so funny because it got to the point where the lady knew what he wanted every single time, she'd look at him and be like "chicken wings and fries?" LOOOL I know it sounds hella racist, but it was so funny/ Sticking with that same friend, chilling with him throughout high school, university and even to this day, there's soooooo many foods and types of foods that he hasn't tried yet. I swear he just started eating sushi like within these past few years...and he ate it with a fork at first LOOOL. Bro, the first time we went to sushi, all he would order was chicken and spicy salmon LOOOL, now he's gotten a bit better, still hesitant, but a bit more open. There's still soooo many things he hasn't tried yet...dim sum, pho, hot pot, all these things that us asian people eat on the daily...he hasn't and isn't willing to try LOL. I was talking to a co-worker a couple of months ago and he said the same thing...that he's never tried korean barbecue, sushi, hotpot, pho or all that stuff before...but that he really wanted to try korean barbecue. It just made me go wow, like there's probably so many other foods that I haven't tried before either but because I've grown up around asian culture all my life, that's all I know, but it was also like wow, I can't believe he's never tried all that before. Let's throw it back again to elementary school...I remember trading snacks with my non asian friends because they loved asian snacks, but their parents would never buy it. Those koala bear cookies, pocky sticks and stuff, I'd trade that for the snacks my parents would never buy me like twinkies LOL. I think of the show Fresh Off The Boat LOL, when he opens his thermos and just an overwhelming scent of asian food everywhere, that's my and I'm sure a lot of your life stories. It's just funny to think about all these things is all...some foods that we eat on the daily and are so accustomed to may be new, different and weird for others...and vice versa y'feel. Growing up asian also means a priority is put on grades and academics, for me...I was lucky to be an outlier in that case. My parents never demanded A's from me and never pushed me to do well in school...they only asked me to do my best...and I'm forever grateful for that. I've seen kids stress and hold hella resentment to their parents because of these things. Growing up asian for me was cool cuz I had a lot of non asian friends and I primarily chilled with them so I feel like I had a good understanding of what it meant to grow up asian but I also got a good perspective of how my other friends felt being surrounded by it you feel. But yeah, hope this post maybe brought you down memory lane lol or maybe you have no idea what I'm talking about...till next time, peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment