WELCOME


Rodmond - RT - RTtheRealest

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything." James 1:2-4

"Whatever you do in life, make sure you follow your heart. Nobody can see your vision like you can see it."

A personal blog, an unfiltered and uncensored place of expression, a personal journal.

EST 12/15/2009

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

The Art Of Letting Go

The Art Of Being Lowkey
The Art Of Listening

First off, if you wanna read the other 'Art Of' posts, they'll be linked above. To be honest, this is something I haven't really figured out and still struggle with to this day, so I'm not too sure why I find myself writing this post lol. I looked up 'how to let go' on google and stumbled on a dope article on a site where people write about literally anything and everything, it's pretty cool, again I'll link it below. I' a really bad hoarder like I've mentioned before, that probably plays into why I'm so bad at letting things and letting people go. Simply put, you can't move onto something new if you're still holding onto something old. Easy enough to comprehend, but much more difficult to put to practice. I mean when it's something or someone of significant importance and meaning it's kinda hard to just let it go like it's nothing. But sometimes, when something or someone has reached their expiration date, fulfilled their use/purpose in your life and can't really offer/do much more for you, it's time to let go and move on. Holding on is one of if not the biggest thing stopping you from moving on. I told you I was reading an article and it talked about letting go being something challenging, scary and painful if it's something you feel you're not ready to let go of. It's especially worse when your heart and your mind are telling you 2 different things...a struggle I'm sure many of us face when it comes to making important decisions.


“Letting go is releasing all doubt, worry, and fear about a situation, person or outcome. It's releasing anything that disrupts your happiness and no longer serves you on your journey. Letting go is a choice to decide that you will no longer ruminate on tbings that are out of your control, and focuss on what you can control, instead.”


Going back tot he last post about choosing happiness, sometimes you have to let go of things/people that you care about or are important but ultimately harmful to you. Pretty sure we all can attest to finding joy or pleasure in something or someone we know isn't good for us but rather harmful. “Letting go creates space for fresh beginnings.” Y'all know I'm in the process of moving and in the process I had to go through a lot of my old clothes and throw away a lot of them, it created so much space for all my other stuff and all the new stuff that I'll probably end up buying in the future. Similarly, going back to my first point, you can't move on to something new until you've let go of the old. One of the points they mentioned in the article is the idea of 'getting it all out'. What that means is to express your emotions, to physically get it out. Whether that means writing it down, talking to something or whatever. It helps you process it, it makes it real and it also helps with stress release. Keeping everything bottled up is the worst thing you can do because eventually, it all comes spilling out. It's important to find what works for you and how you choose to get it all out. Friends, family, therapist or maybe someone with an unbiased opinion who can assess whatever you're going through and respond accordingly. After getting it all out comes acceptance. I kinda had to really sit and take a look at myself in the mirror when I read this part. Especially when I got to the part that said;


“we don't always get that closure we think we ought to have...fully accepting the situation as it is without constantly wishing it would be different is really the only way to getting on the road to being okay.”


The last idea in the article was to 'stay present'. Sounds simple enough, to be in the present and to enjoy and embrace it. It's easy to get so caught up in the past and what was that you totally neglect what's right in front of you...new opportunities, new beginnings, new chapters and much more. The best illustration I can leave you with is what I heard when I was a kid doing track and field. First of all, I was never fast lol but when you're running they tell you not to look back because it slows you down, as much as you want to see where the other racers are and how close or far they are away from you, when you look back it slows you down. That's kinda where I wanna leave this at...that whatever you're holding on to, ask yourself is it doing more help or harm to your happiness, has it fulfilled it's purpose in your journey and is it just simply time to let go and move on.


“Believe in God like the sun up in the sky,
science can tell us how but it can't tell us why.
I seen a baby cry then seconds later she laughed,
the beauty of life, the pain never lasts.”
J. Cole – The Badness


https://medium.com/personal-growth/to-anyone-who-struggles-with-letting-go-ed5bf12fb1e6

No comments:

Post a Comment