WELCOME


Rodmond - RT - RTtheRealest

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything." James 1:2-4

"Whatever you do in life, make sure you follow your heart. Nobody can see your vision like you can see it."

A personal blog, an unfiltered and uncensored place of expression, a personal journal.

EST 12/15/2009

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

To My Mom & Dad, With Love...

*We now returned you to our regularly scheduled programming*

So surprisingly yet unsurprisingly, there was an overwhelming amount of feedback from the previous post, both positive and negative. Tbh I was just venting...and aside from talking to some of my friends, this blog is the one of the only ways I know how to vent anymore. For the most part, I don't feel like I owe anybody but one person an explanation for why I said what I said. If y'all wanna know (and some people have reached out to me), just ask me. I've told y'all and I've learned and regardless of what you say or do, everybody's gonna have a different opinion and that's perfectly fine. But yeah, like I said I don't feel like I owe anybody anything except one person and I've already reached out to that one person and it's all good. So if you still have questions, concerns or anything, speak up or forever hold your peace...cuz this is me atm.


So I was gonna push this post till tomorrow, only because I just got home, but I did promise the blog would return today, so here we are. So my parents aren't your typical asian parents. A lot of the asian kids I went to school with had what you would call "typical asian parents"...who demanded good grades, made you learn piano, some sort of math class and pushed for some sort of job that made a lot of money like doctor or accountant. My parents were and continue to be very different from that. In school, they were never hard on me. I was always nervous to bring home tests or mid report cards that they had to sign and it was like a 60% or something...but they wouldn't get angry, they would ask me well what happened? Why did you get that mark? Did you understand the information or what was going on? See for my parents, especially my dad, the mark wasn't important...he would always ask whether I understood the information, and for the most part I did...I guess just translating it into a test was just difficult for me. My parents were always hella supportive and they always wanted wanted what;s best for me, like any parent. Their only hope for me in school was for me to do my best...they didn't ask for A's (tho it would be nice when I did bring some home), but they only asked for me to do my best and if I did, it wouldn't matter if the number on the paper said 68% or 86^. My parents loved asking the WHY questions. Well why did you do poorly? Why did the teacher say this? Why did this happen? And I think that's why I'm kinda the same way...well why can't we do this, why are these rules in place, why is this necessary...because my parents are exactly the same way. I mean that in all aspects too...seeing my friends a certain way, or seeing people moody...well why are they sad, why are they mad...I like to get past the surface and into the nitty, gritty. But anyways, before I tangent too much...I've never really appreciated these qualities that my parents have until I've gotten older and begun to take my marks more seriously...whether I've continued to do well or not...my parents have always supported me...for them, it was never about the money when it came to university...they just wanted me to finish, but moreso...enjoy what I was studying and understand what I was studying. I know graduating was a really big deal for the, because I'm the first in my family to do so and the first one of my family's last name to do so, so I know they're really proud that I stuck it through and it means a lot that they always supported me and never made such a big deal about marks because it shaped me into who I am today...constantly asking the how and why questions and not taking things for the way they are upfront. It means so much having parents like that considering I've seen some kids with very pushy parents and parents with very high expectations to the point where it puts so much pressure and stress onto the kid. I'm thankful I had the opposite of that and I know I'm gonna be the same when it comes to my future kids, so thanks mom and dad...with love, from your son.

RT

No comments:

Post a Comment